01 November 2006

one place you'd like predictability

One of the weirdest things about Japan is the toilets. On the one hand, some places had these incredibly sophisticated, high-tech toilets with heated seats and rinsing sprays and bidets and self-lifting lids and sounds to cover potentially embarrassing backside noises. The control mechanism for one of these fancy toilets on the opposite wall from the toilet is here:



On the other hand, there's this:



Oh, and at one hotel, our toilet had a sticker on the tank with instructions for using the lids. Illustrated diagram of both-lids-up-to-stand, one-lid-up/one-lid-down-to-sit. No shitting. Figuratively speaking, of course.

Also, many public potties have no paper products in them whatsoever. Moral of the story? Carry tissues.

9 Comments:

Blogger stella said...

Before y'all ask -- NO! I'm not peeing while I'm taking the picture. Grossos!

10:25 PM  
Blogger Lollie said...

I miss my Japanese heated seat with bidet on "low-spray"...*sigh*

I really wanted to attempt the Japanese pee - I looked at the Japanese style toilet in the airport and just couldn't bring myself to do it - it was on the way home. Last chance. Gone.

9:07 AM  
Blogger lynda said...

you are so totally going to have one of those fancy mechanisms installed in your new digs, aren't you?

10:08 AM  
Blogger cK said...

Japan!! Those toilets had some many cords and nozzles running into them. They were like little sanitation robots. If only they spoke....

Hey. I don't recall the "Deodorant" button! I thought I was staying in a nice joint too.
-cK

1:35 PM  
Blogger stella said...

ck ~ in ours, i tried and the deodorant button didn't do squat.

lacosta ~ i have a confession. after too many drinks, the japanese squat gave way to the "fuck it, i'll just sit down backwards" mindset, so i totally sat in somebody else's pee, i'm sure.

at least it was japanese pee, which i'm sure is cleaner. or at least more efficient.

last ~ i never want to hear another woman complain that a man can't hit the toilet standing up. it IS hard when you're aiming from any sort of height. fer sher.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Lollie said...

Stella - here's the thing. I think I gave up prematurely because I was sure I was going to pee in my pulled down pants. How does it work? I just can't figure it out...

8:32 AM  
Blogger Lollie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Lollie said...

oops, sorry!

8:34 AM  
Blogger stella said...

It's like peeing in the woods. Only in a private room with a urinal on the floor, which is usually raised on a little urinal-holding platform. So, I suppose it's better than peeing in the woods since you don't have to worry that your pee is going to puddle over to your shoes.

Next time you're there, just face the wall, squat like you're in the woods, and aim. And be prepared to shift aim; otherwise, you might get the woodsy puddle-toward-your-shoes thing, only without the dirt and sticks to help buffer things.

BTW, I'm a little icked out and excited that this post has the most comments ever.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home