27 October 2006

and tonight we're having chinese

i forgot to photograph our meals for most of the trip, as per inga's request, but here's what we've got.

The first photo I remembered to take: Curry and rice on my plate (okay, so the curry's in the gravy boat), and squid and roe spaghetti on dev's.

I've got yakisoba with pork and vegetables (and shrimp and squid, which really do count as non-meats in Japan); dev's got a sampling of gyoza, meaty-filled steamed buns, and egg rolls. super-duper, this one.

This is the hotpot we had for dev's birthday dinner on Monday. There was sushi and sashimi as well, though stella was sad that the salmon sushi was smoked salmon. Hotpot and sake? Rock.

Four-cheese/Margherita pizza and house wine at the Italian restaurant we ate at for a break from the fish and noodles and rice and broiled meats. Those Japanese know their pizza, oddly enough. There was calamari too, and holy, holy jeezus. Never visit Japan and forget to eat squid. You've never had it better.

a tiny, tiny portion of the last night's meal with the gang. the rest included bonkatsu (maybe dev can tell me what that word should really be? hint, dev!); soba topped with tea, a quail egg, and green onions; tempura; and too much hot sake and draft beer.

That's what you get for now, amigos!

4 Comments:

Blogger Lollie said...

Oooh - I'm homesick for Japanese! And I'm not even from there. I enjoyed the food in Yokohama for ten days last month. What makes me happy? Food on tiny square plates. Pickles every colour of the rainbow. Dried fish, steamed fish, raw fish. Rice. Miso. Chopsticks. All of it...

4:17 PM  
Blogger stella said...

mmmm. i have to say - i've never missed a place's food more. not even the great wonder that is britain's carrot soup. (which, lovely as it sounds, is not rocktastic.)

3:20 AM  
Blogger cK said...

Oh, lovely. Thanks for sharing the photos, Stella.

As I'm highly allergic to seafood, I was on constant death-watch in Japan, but I loved the food nevertheless. (Whoa, you say. That's right: I'm living FAST.)

It was outstanding, all of it. Even the pizza. I found their use of tomato paste and their pizza doughs to be quite tasty.

And I loved the noodle-soup lunch counters. I just wished I'd been wearing a suit and hat at them.
-cK

7:06 PM  
Blogger lynda said...

stella! i heart the photos of the delish looking dishes. it makes me hungry just looking.

and cK! i'm allergic to shellfish, too, like deathly. it can make eating in places along the meditteranean (sp?) a bit harzardous at times.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home