08 June 2006

the omen redux.

So awhile ago Stella and I decided we wanted to see The Grudge. We’ve got satellite. It was on. We were excited. Dev, however, was suspicious.

“You two?” he asked pointedly. “You two want to watch a horror movie?”

“Oh my god, totally,” I said. “My favorite movie is Rosemary’s Baby. I adore the original Omen, that kid is freaky good, all 666 and stuff.”

“Hey,” Stella said. “You’re my boyfriend, Dev! I can totally watch a scary movie if you’re here.”

(note: Stella and I really don’t use totally as much as it might seem)

Dev rolled his eyes. “Uh, okay.” He did not sound convinced. Stella and I made some drinks, got settled in for the movie. She and Dev got cozy on the couch. I sat on the love seat. The movie began.

Sarah Michelle Geller, cute random boy actor. A suicide. A pretty Japanese girl walking around an empty house where the crazy mom from Big Love lives. Everything is fine. Everything is dandy.

And then…

That creepy ass little Japanese kid and his damn cat. Seriously. Dev went to the bathroom. Stella and I fast-forwarded the movie. Dev came back. He rolled his eyes. We begged him to tell us what happened. He rolled his eyes some more. Finally, we fast-forwarded to the end and voila. It was over. Finally. A full length movie watch in a mere 22 minutes.

So the point of this is that the original Omen really is one of my favorite films. The nanny’s “It’s all for you, Damien!” And the new old lady nanny? And poor Damien’s mama. I’ll certainly never water plans perched over a ledge, standing on a chair in high heels again. And the photographer? And poor Gregory Peck realizing he’s got to kill sweetie pie Damien?

And as we all know, the new Omen opened on Tuesday. Cool. We planned to go, really, we did. Dev and some other friends and me (Stella, conveniently, decided to go on vacation the very week this remake opened. Coincidence? Ha! I think not!). Tonight Dev, et. al, are at this very moment watching The Omen with my boy toy Liev. And me? I totally wimped out. Completely and totally. I’m here with Rye and Vivien, drinking a glass of wine and thinking, whew. Even though I know what’s going to happen, I completely wimped out. Am I ashamed? Hell know! I’ll wait for the dvd and fast forward all the scary bits, rewind, then watch again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home