06 January 2007

things i (re)learned in spain.


1. everyone should adopt spanish time ~ what, rush? por favor. we will take our time, no matter. another cafe con leche? cigarette?
2. the germans rock. new year's eve, on the most crowded metro train ever, as the crowd rushed, i began to fall, destined, no doubt to be crushed by the crowd, until a really big, red-haired german who'd done nothing but laugh since getting on the over crowded train, grabbed me and pulled me up.
3. vino tinto. yum.
4. spanish boys are still the most handsome.

5. spain is still not good for the vegs, not to mention the vegans!
6. we need to adopt a new coffee culture. i heart cafe con leche. starbucks who?
7. every american restaurant should offer agua con gas or agua sin gas. i heart bubbles.
8. like every other outlet store in the world, the camper outlet was a bit disappointing. last year's models, anyone?
9. javier bardem has a bar in madrid and we went there! sadly, he wasn't in.

10. walking the streets of madrid rocks.
11. the transvestites walking the streets of madrid rock, too, but in an entirely different way.
12. zara and zara home!
13. madrid's architecture is loverly.
14. barajas airport's new international terminal is a disaster. agatha and i barely made our flight back to the states (really, though, would that have been so bad?). we literally sprinted from the desk, where we were the last two allowed to check in, to our terminal - a 25 min. walk - in about 11 min. in order to actually get on the plane. my plan to buy wine in duty free (as opposed to the grocery store as in olden days, when liquids were safe to bring on a plane) were washed away.
15. seeing the destroyed parking garage at terminal four at barajas, where the airport bus you catch in the center of madrid drops you off, is sobering.
16. madrid's metro is awesome & oh so easy to use!

3 Comments:

Blogger cK said...

Con leche is wonderful. When I'm in Florida I store it up like a camel at the Tulipan Bakery in West Palm Beach (very near my office, which is also Lol's office...that's Lol of the LolliesFollies blog).

I've a crush on all the women in the bakery. They know it too. Sometimes I get on a jag where I only drink mango shakes. But last time I was there I got more con leche. The girl hadn't seen me in two months or so. She stared in a knowing way. She said, "That isn't your order."

Awww. I swoon.
-cK

8:12 AM  
Blogger lynda said...

ah, yes. just this morning i stopped in the local starbucks (alas it truly is the only coffee shop in this dreary ol' town). as the uni is still off, the staff was a bit bored. i was the only one in the shop.

"tall nonfat latte!" yelled one of the green-aproned young men.

alas, this morning i was up for something new and had to tell him sadly, with a shake of my head, "misto, mild blen, organic milk."

he looked crushed, i tell you. so much so i almost took back the order and said yes, yes, tall nonfat latte, stat.

4:38 PM  
Blogger cK said...

The problem of becoming a regular is that the staff starts to depend on the familiarity of your order. You really do get pinned down.

At some of the places in my neighborhood I will go through phases of varying my order frequently just to throw them off. If becomes more of a guessing game for them at that point. Nothing is assumed and nothing is prepared until I speak...though I used to just accept whatever I was given because I was really quite painfully steady.

Habit.
-cK

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home