10 December 2006

old skool.

Yes, it's that time of the academic year: the end of the semester and final exams. This, of course, means, some good snark.

For example, I recently, as in just moments ago, received this email: "Inga, I know it's late in the semester, but am I going to pass the course?" This is from a student who has less than stellar attendance for class. So I emailed back that if said student checked our online class stuff, said student would see all his/her grades from the entire semester posted, save for the final project, and could figure out his/her current grade. Assuming, of course, said student is not also skipping math class on a regular basis.

The short answer, of course, is no, said student will not pass the class this semester. And late in the semester? Uhm, final grades are due in mere seconds! Seconds!

And then there's this guy, who is perhaps the dumbest instructor on earth. I can only imagine the kind of wine his students traded in and for what grades, especially since grades sold for between 200 & 2500...or for wine or some alchohol? So, what? 250 gets a D? 2500 an A? A bottle of Boone's Farm a D? A bottle of Rioja Contador Vinos de Benjamin Romeo, 2002, from Spain, at a mere $310 would be what, a C?

So poor Stella. We talked the other morning. It was approximately 3 degrees where Inga was, not counting the windchill. I could not feel my toes. They were numb, despite the wool socks and lined boots. I was huddled in my car with a cup of coffee, buying time, procrastinating getting out into the wind. Poor Stella sounded down.

What's wrong? I asked.
Oh, nothing, I'm packing.
Where are you going?
Well, Stella said, I have to go to a _____________ conference in _________ (insert sunny southern clime here)
Pause.
Where? I asked.
Stella repeated.
And you sound dejected why?
You don't know my boss. She's going, too.
But you're going to _______________. I can't feel my toes! The wind chill puts us in the negatives! My coffee is no longer steaming and I just got it!
Stella sighs. Life sucks.

So poor, poor Stella. In sunny _______________.

Stella sucks. Plus, she's a totally bad snarker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home