19 June 2006

and the semester isn't even 5 hours old yet...

and already I have my new favorite student! over coffee this morning, I checked my email. there were two messages from a student i'd yet to see, as class did not start til 9:30. one was sent at 1 am. one at 6 am. the 6 am message wondered why I hadn't emailed back yet (?). sure, inga's an early riser and all, but not that early. said student wrote that he had an appoitnment with his advisor at the exact same time! as our first class meeting (which essentially equals a week's worth of classes during a regular semester) and would, alas, be absent. would I forward the syllabus?

note 1 - uhm, wouldn't said advisor know said student had his first class this morning? which leads us to
note 2 - even if said advisor did need to meet with said student this very morning, would the meeting take all 2 hours and 45 minutes of class time?

I directed said student to our online blackboard. then i suggested he come to class after the advisor meeting.

guess who (a) didn't email back & (b) never showed up? yea!

*
I turned in my syllabus for this class a few weeks ago, so copies could be make for my students. I'd emailed the draft of my syllabus to stella, who made suggestions via track changes. I made changes, saved new document, sent to secretary via email. no problem.

today I pick up said syllabi from secretary. I get to the classroom. I open the envelope. and there are copies of my syllabus with the track changes comments visible. uhm...

couldn't said secretary (1) have emailed me and asked for a clean copy or (2) accepted changes before, uh, making copies? did she think i wanted the comments on the syllabus?

of course, this is the infamous secretary from last summer who freaked me out the first day I met her by making every statement I made into a question. no, really. try it sometime. it will freak out your friends and make small children cry.

example:
me: hi, i'm inga. i'm here to pick up the texts.
her: you're inga? to pick up the texts?
me: yes. uhm, are they here?
her: are they here? the texts?
me: yes.
her: hmm, yes? oh, here. are these right?
me: yes. yes, these are right. thanks.
her: thanks? oh, it was no problem.

freaky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home