06 March 2006

what's the difference between 2 and 3?

Apparently nothing to the good chefs at the restaurant I call the Orange Juice place. I don't understand this -- if I'm willing to pay full price for a dish that usually comes with three whopping eggs in order to get the two eggs (only one with a yolk please) I really want, why is it impossible to keep yourself from cracking that last egg? I KNOW that it's possible to crack egg number two and STOP. You don't have to crack that third egg.

I know that my breakfast seems picky, but I don't like yolks that much and sometimes want only enough over-medium yolk to be picked up with half a slice of toast. When those extra yolks show up, they throw off the balance of whites. I like the texture of the fried egg white, and it's awesome with a strip of bacon. Ultimately, since breakfast is one of those things I can prepare in my sleep (and often nearly do), I just figure that paying $7.50 for a plate of eggs, a few potatoes, and a couple of bacon strips should warrant at least my getting the eggs my way. And part of my way is with one yolk and only one additional white.

But no. What happens instead? I get the three eggs. What to do? I run the risk of being labeled the trouble-table who sends back extra food and of drawing a befuddled question from our waitress, who will act as if she's never heard my request before, will check her ticket, and will offer to take it back to be remade. No thankyou. Still, I don't want them gooshing (not gushing) all over the plate, their extra, grodie orangey-yellow infecting, soggifying, desalinating all of my other goodies, so I scoop them off my plate and onto a saucer. I scrape away my too-many-eggs, get the look but not the question, and get my eggs to goosh all over the place and still ruin my potatoes and toast.

Why couldn't they just have reined in that third egg?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home