06 February 2007

to my friends who have recently had snow days.

these are not my cars. this is not my house nor my driveway nor my bushes nor my fence. the scene, however, is simliar enough that it's a fair representation of what's happening outside my house today. since about 8:30 am it's been snowing steadily. and heavily. the temperature is hovering at maybe 0. the wind is around, too.

but do we have a snow day? no, stella, no we don't. no, liv de haviland, no we don't. so while y'all may have had luxurious fridays with your less-than-an-inch-of-snow, here in the frozen tundra we are at work. and pretty damn snarky about it. already i fear the bug getting up the driveway after work. we keep checking to see if we're closed. we're not.

so as the snow continues to fall down upon us, as the temperatures continue to hover in pretty respectable lows things , we're here working away. and when i leave, you know, after students who've made appointments fail to (a) show up or (b) call to say they won't show up, i'll think of y'all as i pile on the three or so layers of warmth; as i put socks on over my socks over my tights before i put my boots on; as i brush off, start up, and brush off the car again; as i inch home through likely unplowed roads (or roads that were plowed at one point and then left to pile up with snow again); as i break open a bottle of wine and, you know, wash my cares away, i'll think of y'all. and your measley one-inch of snow = a snow day.

sigh.

lovely liv d.h., by the by, is the proud owner of my handsome new boyfriend, pictured in one of stella's posts below.

1 Comments:

Blogger cK said...

Awww. That's sweet. Your reality is like Minnesota's reality.

I didn't have a snow day (in the sense of cancelation) either, but I do work at home, so as long as I can open my computer I have to work. That ain't bad, though.

Please drive safely, friend.
-cK

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home