11 September 2006

Rainy Day Rant.

Okay, enough with the commercials about a vaccine that might wipe out cervical cancer caused by HPV. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for education. But give me a break. Who amongst us doesn't know about HPV and its link to cervical cancer? A random survey of our friends will show that not only do we know about the connection, but a fair number have already had surgery to remove pre-cancerous cells.

I find the commercials kind of icky, frankly, esp. the girl who announces, "I want to call someone I love." Or the actress-mother, with her arm around the actress-daughter, saying, "I want to talk to her doctor" (aside: uhm, she can't, can she? doesn't the daughter have doctor-patient privacy?).

Why isn't anyone on this commercial saying what we all already know to be a good way to avoid contracting HPV: condoms. condoms. condoms. why doesn't the actress-mom say, "I'm going to make sure she knows about condoms, just in case she's actually having sex when she's telling me she isn't."

condoms, damnit! condoms! always a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home