27 August 2006

Oh. Huh.

So yesterday morning I was at a coffee shop, sipping a cup of joe, waiting for a large coffee order to take to campus. I browsed through x's local paper. I checked the police beat for any mention of former students, coworkers, or boyfriends. The shop was mostly empty; a professor I recognized from campus was busy at work across the shop. The door opened. A father and daughter walked in. Oh, how cute, I thought. Quality father-daughter breakfast time. The dad refrained from ordering. The daughter, though, wanted a chai tea. A chai tea with skim milk, she emphasized, and she repeated the word again, lest the coffee girl behind the counter did not hear her. Skim. Which might have been a real problem, as the daughter was, oh, about six years old, skinny as a button (yeah, okay, I realize that doesn't work too well - are buttons skinny? well, I suppose so, since they aren't very wide, but they can be big, you know, especially if you have a Navy pea coat - the buttons on those suckers are HUGE! but i digress - tiny girl was a skinny minnie), nose barely skimming the top of the counter.

A six year old? Already obsessed with skim over whole milk? Or 2%? I mean, I was at least 21 before I developed my obsession with calories and fat grams.

Oh my indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home